The Keto Diet or Ketogenic Diet is a low-carb diet that puts the body in the state of ketosis. Keto food has high fat and low carbohydrate. If you are using a diet that includes low carbohydrates and high-fat contents, you are actually on a keto diet. Studies show the ketogenic diet has many potential health benefits. Keto is very popular among the people who want a quick weight loss. Almost 60% of the users of the Keto Diet are using it for weight loss purposes. Apart from weight loss, a ketogenic diet might be effective against different diseases like diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and Epilepsy. This article is a detailed beginner’s guide to Keto Diet. You will learn the mechanism of working of Keto Diet, its benefits, and some examples of Ketogenic foods.
back to menu ↑
Working Mechanism of Keto Diet (Ketosis)
Ketosis is a metabolic condition or state of your body, in which your body starts consuming fat instead of carbohydrates to meet its energy needs. Ketosis involves the shifting of the body to fat fuel instead of carbohydrates fuel.
As we have discussed earlier, the Keto Diet is a low carb diet. When you eat it, your body gets high fats and low carbohydrates (Glucose or Sugar). Glucose (sugar) is the main source of cell energy in normal conditions, but in the keto diet, the main source of energy is shifted towards fats. So, when you are on Keto Diet, your Liver starts converting the fats into ketones and the level of ketones in the blood becomes high. This metabolic state or condition is known as Ketosis. In Ketosis, your body starts burning already deposited fats and hence you get a quick weight loss.
A common type of Keto Diet contains only 20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates per day and a large amount of fats in the form of fat-containing foods like meat, eggs, healthy oil and nuts, etc. As the main purpose of it is to enter your body in the state of ketosis, you can check your state of ketosis by measuring ketones in your blood.
Certain body symptoms might also indicate that you have entered a state of Ketosis, like thirst, dry mouth, less appetite, and frequent urination, etc.back to menu ↑
Custom Keto Dietback to menu ↑
Major Types of Keto Diet
On the basis of Fats, Proteins, and Carbohydrate Contents, the Keto Diet is divided into the following types,
- SKD (Standard Ketogenic Diet):
This SKD contains a very low amount of carbohydrates, typically 10% of the whole diet, a very high amount of fats (70%), and a moderate quantity of proteins (20%).
- TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet):
TKD is used for specific purposes and you can add the carbohydrates according to your need.
- HPKD (High Protein Ketogenic Diet):
As the name implies, HPKD contains a high amount of Protein (60%), Fats (35%), and Carbohydrates only 5%.
- CKD (Cyclical Ketogenic Diet):
In CKD, the diet is divided into periods of high carb and low carb. For example, in the first two days, you will take high carb while in the next 5 days you will take low carb (Standard Ketogenic Diet).back to menu ↑
Health Benefits of Keto Diet
There are the following major potential health benefits of Keto Diet,
- Fantastic Supplement for Weight Loss: As we have discussed earlier, 60% of users of Keto Diet are using it for Weight loss purposes. Keto Diet enters the body into the state of Ketosis in the result of which the body starts burning all unnecessary deposited fats for energy needs. So, as a result of ketosis, a person starts losing weight quickly because he/she eating fewer carbohydrates (carbohydrates are the main source of weight increasing) and burning already deposited Fats (70% of the overweighting is due to deposited fats).
- Keto Diet is helpful in the treatment of Diabetes: Diabetes is the state or condition of the body in which sugar or glucose level becomes very high in the blood. If a patient suffering from Diabetes, takes Ketogenic Diet, he/she can get rid of diabetes because he/she will take fewer carbohydrates which eventually will cause a decrease in the glucose level of the blood. According to research studies, a Ketogenic diet is very helpful in the treatment of Diabetes.
- Ketogenic Diet is beneficial for heart diseases: Ketogenic Diet may be helpful in reducing the chances of development of heart diseases by improving risk factors like good Cholesterol (HDL), maintaining normal blood pressure and blood sugar.
- Keto Diet is helpful in Cancer treatment: According to research studies, Ketogenic Diet has the ability to reduce tumor growth and for this reason, it is helpful in cancer treatment.
- Ketogenic Diet is helpful for mental disorders and brain injuries: Research Studies have reported the Ketogenic may be effective against Alzheimer’s disease. Epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and Brain injuries. The ketogenic diet has the ability to reduce Seizures also.
Some important foods to eat in Ketogenic Diet
For your convenience, we have summarized a list of some important and beneficial foods which you should eat in a Ketogenic Diet.
- Fatty Fish: Fish containing large amounts of fats are very beneficial in the Ketogenic diet. Examples of fatty fish are trout, tuna, salmon, and mackerel.
- Meat: Meat is a major source of fats. You should eat red meat, bacon, chicken, and turkey in the Ketogenic Diet.
- Eggs: Eggs are rich in fats, proteins, and essential minerals. Omega 3 fatty acids are found in large amounts in the Eggs. So, eating eggs in the Ketogenic diet is not a bad idea at all.
- Avocados: Whole Avocados and guacamole are the best forms of Avocadoes that you can eat during the Keto Diet.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are rich in fats, minerals, and fibers.
- Healthy Oils: You can take extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil in the Ketogenic diet.
- Low Carb Vegetables: Low Carb Vegetables include tomatoes, onions, and green veggies.
- Cheese: Cheese in unprocessed form like goat, cheddar, and mozzarella is best in a Ketogenic diet.
However, you can subscribe to our list and we will send email to send you with the free copy of Keto Diet Recipes Book.
You can read also